Friday, April 23, 2010

The Goings On of my Inner Mind

I feel as if plans are finally getting rolling and settled. I "graduate" in three weeks, although I will still have to take two classes after that. By June 10th I will have officially finished my undergrad career. As to be expected, I am both extremely excited and overwhelmingly petrified at times, but even the paralyzing, can't-breathe petrification is an amazing feeling, because it means that anything can happen. I have the whole world open to me. Of course, it also means that whether or not I fall flat on my face is up to me (which could explain the feelings of panic).

On another note, I have officially been placed, although I will not give the exact location at this place and time. I have heard both good and bad about the town/city. Once I get there and can judge the situation and setting, I will decide whether or not I will give the location. My passport appointment is finally scheduled for Monday and hopefully I will have one more step down. It took a couple weeks longer than expected to get my birth certificate as Texas ended up losing it from the printer to the desk of the person in charge. Aren't grand, bureaucratic offices great? Of course, I realize that Russia government/paperwork will be far worse, so I guess I will count this as practice. Anyways, other than that, there is not much to tell. So, Good day my faithful readers.



---Your hopefully, soon-to-be Russian Traveler---

9 comments:

  1. Very exciting! I would totally recommend keeping your location on the down low for now. My experience: the less people know about your whereabouts, the better. I was never this paranoid before my Moscow gig, but I now see the advantages of discretion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise you, you'll LOVE the paperwork in Russia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you've come to your senses and decided not to go -- Moscow is a tough city under the best of circumstances and now the visa situation is completely up in the air. Even teachers who have been in Russia for years are having trouble getting completely legal visas. I hope you have a safety net to get you through the worst case scenario. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. You haven't posted for awhile - your launch date must be coming up soon?

    @English Teacher X - It's my understanding that LL has all the necessary visa/work permit stuff so the visa situation is under control. For now, at least - as we all know, the visa situation can change at any moment.

    I don't think she's going to Moscow - just a guess - but I have to tell you, that even after what happened to me, I still wouldn't trade those magical 4 months I spent in Moscow. I just loved it there. Met so many wonderful Russians. Experienced so many wonderful Russian things.

    But I agree that she needs a safety net - a big chunk of money, in other words. Anyone entering Russia as a teacher HAS to have a big savings account "just in case."

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Eve. Not much has been going on in the way of Russia, so I haven't felt the need to post. Right now it's basically the ongoing battle of getting paperwork apostilled, mailed and approved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the battle of the paperwork. Yep, I'm going through the exact same thing now with Korea. Pain in the ass. Glad you're still planning on going. I'm so hopeful that your Russian experience will be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! That's the main reason I'm doing this is for the experience and the chance to say that I actually did something when I had the opportunity. I'm only 21 and now is the time to not worry about acquiring a job with a 401K or obsessing about finding the perfect guy. I'm young and free and want to see the world - good, bad and all. And this is my first step. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Language Link does NOT have the proper authority to issue legal visas. I know several people who work there who are now working on student visas. Completely illegal.

    And perhaps it's my extensive experience speaking here, or my age and cynicism -- but would you accept an illegal job, from employers you know often rip off, overwork and otherwise cheat their employees, in a strange city where you had no support network in America?

    Of course not. Yet you rush off to Russia to do just that. "Experience?" Go volunteer at a soup kitchen or something if you want experience, or get a job with all the oter illegals at a Texas slaughterhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. accidentally found your blog, Don't be afraid Moscow is a very unique great city! Hope you won't have any problems with your paperwork!

    greetings from Russia, Moscow!^_~

    ReplyDelete