Thursday, August 12, 2010

This One's for the School

So, as much bad junk as has been going on with everything breaking, being "taken," etc. I want to follow up with a cheerful blog post. And, surprisingly (after all the bad reviews I read about schools in Moscow), this upbeat post will be dedicated to my school.

I know many newbies come in, praising their schools and then later regretting it, so I won't say that my comments are the all-in-all. However, they are what I have observed during my first week here in Russia.

I am impressed. Sweet and simple. I came into Russia, and on the first day, I found myself in the unfortunate position of being bereft of my money card. However, the DOA, who not only met me, gave me an advance on my first paycheck and took me shopping for food. She only left after making sure that I was settled in and new my way around my area. Thanks Olga!

The next day, my DOS called me on the phone, offering to meet me and another intern. We had drinks and he answered our questions about the school and what to expect. After that, he showed us how to get around on the bus system and helped us buy our tickets. The next morning, he met us bright and early and took us step-by-step through the commute process of bus, train, metro, school. He has also been available for endless questions about directions, Russian phrases, grammar help and the like. Thanks Mark!

The teachers who have been training us so far have done a wonderful job of being welcoming. Not a morning goes by (outside of class) when they do not offer to answer any questions we have, or to ask if we need any help. They do their best to make the classes fun, interesting and educational. Thanks Rachel, Zhara, Harry, Marin and Jim!

Then, there is the director. Since she first found out about my problem, she has been nothing but helpful. She has had the secretaries call the bank, has offered the use of name in case money needs to be wired, and has been generous about providing me with the loans I need until the situation is resolved. She is always coming in and out of classrooms, asking if anyone needs anything fixed in their apartments, or needs any other type of help. Thanks Jennifer!

Everyone has tried their best to make this a good and relatively easy transition and life experience. I appreciate everything you do.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear the good news ... sounds like you're off to a good start. Be ever vigilant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassandra, you have a wonderful style of writing; your blog is enjoyable to read. Hold fast your faith; pray without ceasing!

    ReplyDelete