Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Home Again, Home Again

I've been home, back in the US, for over a week now, still trying to figure out how to end this blog. There is so much I want to say about my time in Russia, but I am completely at a loss to describe everything. In the end, I have decided that the best way to end my chronicles is to answer two questions that I have been asked repeatedly since my return and then follow them by the top 15 things I learned during my travels.

Question 1. Did you have a lot of good experiences? Was Russia really bad?

Yes, I would say about 85-90% of my experiences were good, which compared to many bloggers out there, makes me feel extremely lucky and blessed.


Question 2. Would you do it again if you could?
Yes and No. I could do Russia again. In fact, I was strongly considering staying in Zgrad. I have made so many friends there, and I loved the people I worked with. But, as much as I enjoyed my time there, Russia itself is not for me. I want to see more of the world, to experience life and different cultures. But most importantly, I want to work as more than a ESL teacher. I want to be in a place where I can use my skills to work with and help people on a more personal level.

Top 15 things I've learned:
1. Friendship is as much about being humble enough to take and accept help as it is about giving help.

2. Ice hurts. It is my mortal enemy.

3. No matter how long the winter may last, spring is always on the other side.

4. Even when you feel absolutely alone and isolated from everything familiar, the stars and moon are so much bigger than you. In fact, they are big enough to connect you and your loved ones back home.

5. It's as important to have laughter in your work atmosphere as it is to have professional respect.

6. When your AD isn't happy, no one says a word.

7. Students come in all shapes, sizes and personalities. The trick is to find out more about them than their name.

8. It is possible to have your favorite student in your class be your worst nightmare.

9. I absolutely love and adore my New English File Intermediate class and my English in Mind Intermediate class. Which basically makes me think that intermediate is the best level to teach.

10. I am extremely blessed to have such a wonderful group of coworkers and friends.

11. I don't have to feel guilty when things go well for me. When I do get gifts and blessings, I should accept them with thanks and realize that maybe, just maybe, I might deserve them after all.

12. Life is full of ups and downs, but I worship a God is absolutely in control.

13. There are no such things as coincidences. Everything is a chain of events with a purpose.

14. Sushi really is fantastically amazing!

15. When you work hard and refuse to give up, dreams really do come true, even if they're not what you expected.

Well, here they are dear readers. The faithful few who have kept up with my journey know some of the highs and lows of my life as a ESL teacher in Zgrad, Russia. Maybe I've inspired you, scared you, or just entertained you. Either way, thank you for taking this journey with me.

As for some good news. This is not the end. While I am not going back to Russia, I have wrangled a job which requires my frequent travel around the US. Indeed, from August 2011 to May 2012 I will be living out of a suitcase and motel/hotel rooms across the US as I visit schools to present Camfel Productions' videos to students. I am extremely excited about this new opportunity God has given me. I get to continue working with students and traveling. So, stay tuned as I create my new blog to capture my life as a nomadic citizen exploring my countries greatest wonders.

Sincerely yours,
Your Home-again-Russian-traveller

No comments:

Post a Comment