Monday, September 6, 2010

Camoflauge 101

I hate feeling like a tourist, essentially because I will be here for almost a year and am NOT a tourist. However, there are certain things that separate me from the crowd of natives walking along the street.

1. Let's get the obvious out of the way. I speak English with an American accent.

2. The shoes. Russian women spend quite a bit of moo-la to walk down the street. Everything from their hair to their shoes takes effort and time to perfect. While I don't mind dressing up (I have to for class anyway), I refuse to wear the ankle-breaking heels that click-clack up and down the streets, hallways, floors. My feet are precious. Too many hereditary maladies loom in front of me, and I insist on taking care of feet while I can. This means that I will wear my tennis with whatever outfit I can.

3. No smokes or vodka here. I'm not a smoker, nor am I a drinker. Both of those things are HUGE here.

4. I don't mind setting my bag on the floor. Many, if not most Russian women do not set their bags on the floor at restaurants or in other public areas. I'm not sure why.

There are others, but due they temporarily escape me at this point. I will update this list later.

No comments:

Post a Comment