Sunday, October 3, 2010

Playing Catch-up: From September 4, 2010

This was my first Saturday after the ITP. Colleen, Stuart, Kayla and I had made plans to explore Red Square and the surrounding area. We were supposed to meet at 10:30 which means I woke up early - ughhh. I figured I would probably get lost somewhere along the way and would need the extra time, so 7:00 greeted me with a really loud and annoying alarm siren.

I knew that once I got into Komsomolskaya station, I needed to hop on the red line instead of my usual brown line. However, I wasn't entirely positive about which stop to get off at. I picked the stop with word "revolution" in it and hoped for the best (which is about all one can do when the word revolution comes into conversation).

I ended up getting lucky, but that luck only went so far. I later found out that I DID get off at the right stop (although, technically, any stop in that area would have worked). I just didn't know which way to go from the exit.

So, not being able to see a giant red square-ish thing from my position by the metro, I walked up the street, away from the growing crowed of chanting teenagers and young adults. After a couple of blocks filled with buildings lined with opera and ballet posters I saw a book store caddy-cornered from me. So, being me, I excitedly entered the premises, sure that my salvation was near. After all, it was a place of books, learning and education. Unfortunately, everything and everyone was Russian. No English tour books. No employee that could even point me to the Kremlin.

I exited feeling let-down and worried. By this time, I had missed the meeting time and was sure that the others would have gone on their own way by now. But, as fate is wont to do from time to time, she smiled on me (she must of been feeling guilty for the bookshop fiasco). I was walking back toward the metro station when I saw them - Colleen and Stuart. Two bright American/Scottish beacons. I could have cried I was so relieved.

The three of us then set off together in pursuit of the big, red square. We headed in a random direction looking for any clue we were headed in the RIGHT direction.

We hadn't been walking for long when I heard voices speaking in English. Could this be our help? YES! Turning around we came face to face with a couple of men - obviously and hilariously gay. They were carrying a map which their concierge at the Plaza had given them. They told us that because it was Moscow Day (which we did not know, but which explained the chanting crowds), many entrances to the Kremlin were closed. They gave us their spare map (which was later very handy). However, before we parted, another gay couple found us. One who remarked, "It's our own gay parade!" and a guy from the first couple responded, "It's like we never left the states."

We walked one way and the four men walked the other way. After having seen one of the men with a Starbucks cup, we decided to find it and regroup. We did. Then we began walking again and found none other than a McDonalds. The thing about McDonalds in Russia is that they are one of the few places that offer free wifi and free bathrooms with toilet paper (always a plus). You can explore the whole city of Moscow one McDonalds at a time. I challenge you to try it. Finally, after McDonald's we found Red Square. We must have got to the entrance either right after it opened or right before it closed, but we did make it.

Because it was city day, the Stadium was being set up for the military band or the Russian tattoo which would be playing later that evening. We walked past it and found the Basilica (or St. Basil's Cathedral). We ended up getting tickets at the student price (which was very good because it saved us each 150 rubles.

I enjoyed looking at the church, but the best part was seeing the individual rooms and thinking of how it was originally used and trying to guess everything that had been removed, replaced or restored over the past few centuries.

After St. Basil's we walked around the square some more. On the streets outside, huge masses of what appeared to be college students gathered with huge balloons, flyers, colored t-shirts and loud chants. Each section (or school) was represented by a different colored t-shirt and balloon. We stood and watched and listened for a while before moving on.

Stuart was our official and dedicated map reader and successfully managed to get us around all the closed streets and to our destination at Dom Kenigi (House of Books). Colleen finally had money and wanted to stock up.

After shopping we walked to the Arbatskaya metro where we were supposed to meet their friend Sergei. After adding one more to our number we headed off. Sergei acted as our tour guide and led us to an old Soviet/Military replica shop (which was actually pretty cool). He then took us to the Arbat walking district which is a street lined with shops (especially for tourists and music lovers) and musicians. We walked and talked and listend to Spanish, acoustic-styled rock songs and Russian reggae rap. We even stopped by another McDonalds. (See, I told you you could travel Moscow by the McDs.) Lunch/dinner was at Sbarro, an Italian pizza place. Finally, around 6:30/7-ish we headed back to the Arbatskaya metro and parted ways.

As I was getting on the Elektrishka, I noticed Zach and Micah (two other interns) were in one of the carts and so I sat next to them. When we got back to Zgrad, it was dark and the fireworks were exploding overhead. It was also Zgrad day. Overall, it was a very excellent day.

*FB statii for that day:
1. Exploring Moscow one MCDonalds at a time.
2. Moscow Day and Zgrad Day: crossed an 8 lane highway without a crosswalk or a traffic light, wandered around Red Square area till we found a place to go in, saw the Basilica, saw the outside of the Kremlin, saw a bunch of teens chanting with balloons, wandered around the Arabat, saw a string quartet, saw a group mixing rap and reggae in Russian and came back to Zgrad in time for the fireworks and drunken bicyclists.

Sincerely,
Your Russian Traveller

No comments:

Post a Comment