Thursday, January 27, 2011

And These are the Days of Our Lives

Life has been pretty quiet since I've started back. I have kept all of my classes, so my schedule remains unchanged - which is both good and bad.

The Monkeys
I love my kids (most of the days), but my EM2 young teens have tried and succeeded in pushing my buttons. I affectionately refer to them as my "little monkeys," and I hate it when I have to dole out punishments, but alas, I was forced to write up reports on two students. 2 girls. Best friends in class. 1 is at the top of the class yet refuses to speak in English. The other is a smart underachiever and relies on her friend for all the answers. The trouble comes when St. 1 helps St. 2 despite sitting four rows behind her. However, I will admit that as much as I hated involving parents, the next class had a much quieter atmosphere. My monkeys became children again.

The Business
I have long come to accept the fact that I work for a business. As much as it is a school, it is a business first and foremost. This can prove difficult when trying to find creative ways to punish kids without losing their business, but it hit me hardest with my in-company class.

About a month or two before winter break, I had obtained teacher-ship of an in-company class. The class of about 4-6 adults wasn't a real joy for me. They weren't horrible, just . . . bland. They never did their homework; they complained about assignments, and one man really kind of scares me with his political, social, religious beliefs. But hey - it's a business. Then, the last week of the semester, they cancelled the last two classes. Fine by me. They had a test. It made sense.

When I came back to work, I was told that they cancelled all further classes. They were tired of English and wanted German. While technically they were working out of an advanced book, this class was more realistically at an intermediate to upper-intermediate level. Their writing and speaking skills were greatly underdeveloped. Yet, they thought they knew it all. (Although, in all fairness, their vocabulary was pretty advanced.) I was fairly thrilled that they cancelled classes with me. It actually made my week. And then, last week I got the news. They want me back. 1 day a week. But, they have a condition. I must not give them ANY writing assignments. I must teach them and help them fix their weaknesses, without having them physically work on their biggest weakness. Oh well. They are the customers. And, it's only 1.5 hours a week. It's not that big of a deal.

Anger
In my last advanced class on Monday, I had my students write down a topic on a piece of paper. I then collected all the topics and had each student draw one. They then spoke on the topic for a minute. One of the students spoke on the Domodedovo Airport Terrorist Attacks. I had not heard about it yet being at school for the better part of the day. When I finished with class, I looked it up online. I was mad.

I was mad that there are people in this world who don't care how many people they kill. I was mad that so much hate and racism exists all around me. I'm a Christian, and I am proud to be one. But I HATE it when religious and political extremists make it difficult for everyone else who believes in something to be taken seriously. When they manipulate and destroy images and concepts of love with those of hate and violence.

I also hate the silence and apathy surrounding the attack. I live only about 3 hours away from the airport. Close enough to be effected - I would think. Yet I haven't heard anything about it from my students or coworkers since Monday.

35 people died.

Over 180 were severely injured or in critical condition.

I'm not a raging pacifist by any means. I believe there are definite times for peace, but there are also times for war. I am a proud citizen of the United States of America. I'm not saying that there aren't people talking about it and clamoring for justice, but I'm shocked at the silence. When the United States was attacked in 2001 people, even teenagers, talked about nothing else for months. Every September since then people of all ages have remembered and honored the day. A country's citizens should feel safe. If they are threatened by either terrorist attacks or their government, they should demand justice and keep on demanding it until they get it.

So, has Russia just seen one to many attacks to get up in arms over it? Have they just lost complete faith in their government and military officials to properly handle explosive situations? Why aren't any of my students and coworkers talking about it?

This silence scares me more than anything. Before the storm there is always a silence. Will we be ready if all hell breaks loose. There was already a couple of race riots about a month ago. What will happen next?

America, are you paying attention? Will you learn from history?

Sincerely and Mournfully Yours,
Your Russian Traveller

Update:
The business class has been given to another teacher. It should bother me, but at this point I am just relieved. I can handle my other classes and have a good rapport with them, so que serĂ¡ serĂ¡.

No comments:

Post a Comment