Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Days Like These

Nothing too exciting has been going on, but the past couple of days have just been "good." It helps that they have been contrasted by a week or so of crappy days, but I won't let that detract from their goodness.

The Crappy Days:
For a while, I had been in my own sort of funk. I don't know what else to call it but a funk. Things and life in general were just "blah." I hadn't been sleeping which meant I didn't feel very well. There were some bad teaching days. There were home improvements being done b/c the flat was falling apart. And then there was just the overall depressive mood that I tends to follow me around. This year I have been pretty good at pushing it aside, but it swallowed me whole for about a week.

Then there was the neighbor. Last Saturday, at 2:00 AM in the morning - 2 AM, our upstairs neighbors comes down and pushes our buzzer like there's no tomorrow. Their complaint: our stove is letting off a funky smell that is keeping them up. This was the second time they have done this (the last time being in December). This upset me for the following reasons
1. The thing is I understand being frustrated by a smell as I have a sensitive nose, but at 2 am there is nothing that I could do.
2. Our stove does let off a toxic smell when used to long, but I had not used it all day and my roommate "claims" that she never used it (although there was some evidence to the contrary). So, we think their is an angry poltergeist haunting our stove, and what can we do about a poltergeist.
3. They keep threatening us with the cops. I don't like being threatened by anyone, but especially not in a strange country where I don't speak the language.
4. The frustrating neighbors actually speak English fairly well, and I hate the teacher side of me that wants to compliment them and ask them where they learned their English - all while they are threatening me!!!
5. On Sunday, the day after the smell, when it was gone, they called the cops to our flat. Luckily I was at a friends, but my roommate was here. Although she never answered the door, which was good. Apparently, you don't have to answer the door to anyone in Russia, even the cops.
6. Our landlady suspects that the grandson is a druggie from her previous encounters with him.

Anyways, as a result of this, our landlady, who is the nicest landlady in the world, has bought us a microwave which I have christened Sir Milo the Gallant.

The Good Days:
Isn't it amazing how just a couple good days can counteract all the other depressing ones? The first good day was Sunday. It was completely dedicated to music, friends and food. To begin, I went over to Alyssa and Lena's flat where we watched some old Soviet/Russian folk cartoons which are set to music. Lena had bought me the CD/DVD for New Years, and she translated it for us as we watched. Then, she made salmon pasta, at my request, and as soon as Alex came over, we feasted and watched "The Sound of Music." After that, Lena and I watched a Belly Dancing Competition. Which was fairly interesting I must admit.

The next really good day was Tuesday. I got up feeling really relaxed and pleasant, and then got dressed and went to pick up my pay from the ATM at the mall. Although its out of the way, at least it got me out of the flat. Later I ran into a friend and we sat and chatted for about an hour on the delights and horrors of teaching and even more about various historical topics. It was quite an enjoyable conversation.

Then today, I had a really fun class with one of my teen groups. My AD had found a Sherlock Holmes activity which I adapted into a classroom project. I had fun seeing how the "logical" minds of teenagers work.

Then, there was my tutorial make-up session with one of my favorite students. She is very sweet and has such a curious mind and is eager to learn. After the session we just talked some more. It is students like her who make me enjoy teaching.

Sincerely,
Your Russian Traveller

1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe your neighbors called the cops on you guys. Over a smell. That is ridiculous. I remember those days of not answering the door - awesome.

    ReplyDelete