Sunday, February 20, 2011

Moscow . . . and all that JAZZ

Hello family, friends, world. Yes, I am still alive, functioning, healthy, etc. Not much has been happening. I've been teaching and getting to know some of my students better. In fact, one of my students asked me if I had any English books they could read. So, I brought my stack of books and movies to class and several of them checked some out. As a whole classes are running smoother than ever, which makes me very happy. Other than that, there have been some changes in administration stuff, but nothing worth getting into right now.

The main thing I do want to write about right now is JAZZ. One of my college friends used to call me an "old head" because of my affinity for jazz and classic pop (Josh Groban, Il Divo, etc). For me, there's something about jazz that I find liberating. Even the history of jazz expresses the sense of liberation and freedom: from a cry of suffering (the blues) to a shout of celebration, jazz contains it all.

And last night I became enveloped in a rich blanket of smooth jazz, raucous jazz, and in-between jazz. For the past couple of days, "Butman's Jazz Festival" has been going on, celebrating the life of jazz. Last night I sat and listened to jazz for at least three hours. Every band played better than the one before. The night started with Butman's quartet: Blues for 4 (piano, saxophone, drums, bass). They were followed by All Stars: XXL (trumpet, saxophone, piano, keyboard, drums, bass guitar). Finally, the pièce de résistance for the evening, the Joshua Redman trio (saxophone, bass, drums), swept me away with their soulful and harmonic music.


The music was such that I found myself getting lost within the stories. At times I found a tear running down my cheek and soon after I wanted to get up and dance. If a guy played with my emotions that way, I would probably drop-kick him into next year, but with the music, I can only express love.

And then there were the musicians. I love seeing how musicians handle themselves while performing. The best ones are the ones who give a sideshow by getting into their music themselves. You can literally see the music carrying them away. The drummer in the Blues for 4 quartet was amazing. But then, there was the Redman trio. The whole group threw themselves into the beat. I especially loved it when Joshua Redman started improving. The drummer and bass kept giving each other looks and shrugs, occasionally smiling and dancing to the music while the soloist just belted out the love on his saxophone. Then, after about four minutes, they picked up the beat and joined in (although I think it was because the Joshua had finally improved his way into an actual rehearsed song). The whole set was genius.





To top off the night, Lena, Sergei, Sveta and I took a stroll through red square. If you ever get to see Red Square at night, even if it is in the negatives out side, do it: it is worth every frozen nose hair and frostbitten finger.












Sincerely,
Your Russian Traveller

No comments:

Post a Comment