Monday, February 28, 2011

This One's for the Mom



This blog will be a little different. It has nothing to do with Russia insofar as the reason I'm writing it is because I am in Russia and not at home with my mother. Dear readers, today (March 1st Russian time) is my mom's birthday. My mom is 30 years and 20 days older than me, so I'll let you do the math. :D So today, I want to use this blog to honor the amazing woman who has made such an impact on my life; with this blog I want to say, "Mom, I love you so much, and I miss you more than you know."

My mom and I have been through so much together, and I like to think that we for a mother/daughter duo, we have quite a strong and understanding bond. We've forged it through illnesses, screaming matches, role reversals, graduations, medical drama, and much more. But through it all, she was there to hold me, to rub my back, and to wipe away my tears. We literally pulled each other through our lives, sometimes forcibly, sometimes kicking and screaming, sometimes by three simple words "I love you."




When I was little, she would sit/hold/forcibly restrain me so that she could French braid my hair. For a five year old with freakishly long and thick hair that easily tangled, this was torture. But, I did look cute. And despite all of those tears and screams, she managed to teach me how to French braid hair.

My mom taught me my alphabet and my nursery rhymes through song, and by doing so, she gave me a love for music. My mother plays the piano incredibly well, and I remember sitting next to the piano while she would give a piano lesson and just wish that I could have a tenth of her musical talent. Even her own family (brothers, sisters, parents, nephews, nieces and children) comes to her demanding piano lessons, or an accompanist. I was and am so proud of her abilities. Hearing her play is one of the best sounds in the world to me. It's how I know everything is okay: everything will be okay.






I am the middle child, the only girl. I have two brothers. I have my father's temper, and the lungs of a non-smoking musician. Life could not have been easy. When I was upset, I let the whole house (and neighborhood) know. Through it all, I can barely remember my mom ever raising her voice. She knew how to make her point without the violent shouting that I had perfected. Yet, when she did raise her voice, we knew that "momma was serious." I was always wishing that I had her patience and mild manner. And, while I've learned to better control my outrageous outbursts (due mainly to my dad's self-controlling example), I still wish I had some of my mother's manner.



Everyone who meets my mother loves her. She is kind, loving, sharing, intelligent, and sympathetic. As soon as she hears that something is wrong or someone is hurting, she is there with an open hug, a card and breaking heart. She loves people so much, and she lets that love be known. In many ways she reminds me of Beth from Little Women. My Jo-ness just naturally meshes with her Beth-ness, but I know she has helped more people than her daughter. The ladies of our church and her school knew their was something special about her. She just draws people to her with her love.

Then, there is my mother's work ethic. I have never known a harder working lady. She's not a business tycoon, but she is a teacher/mother/wife/musician/band associate/ticket seller/volunteer/... Our family has never had much money, but my mother did everything she could to help keep us afloat. She would teach during school hours and then spend extra time selling tickets at sports events. She would volunteer to work with the Band Boosters because all of her children were in band, and she wanted to support them. She would play the piano at extra church events, for the band and choirs. She would teach piano to interested students. She did all of this for her family. And when she would make a little extra money, instead of using it on herself, she would take her children out to taco bell, or give us a little extra spending money for the band trip or for graduation. Although, we never liked it when she overworked herself, we always appreciated everything she did for us.

My mom's not perfect, and we don't always have the most perfect relationship. But we always have love and pride for each other. She's my number one supporter who has always believed in me. I've never known her not to root for me. When I first learned that I was accepted to teach in Russia, I didn't know how to tell my mom. I thought that she would think it was too far away or too dangerous. But, the first words out of her mouth were "Congratulations, I'm so proud of you." Not once did she try to stop me from coming here.

Mom, in many ways I may be your opposite, but you have always been my inspiration and my motivation to try, to do, and to succeed. I would not be here if it weren't for you. I would not be me if it weren't for you. I am thankful every time that I get to hear your voice and know that you are still here with me.

Examples of true and lasting love:










"Mama" by Il Divo


Happy Birthday Mom! Thank you for 21 years of unconditional love.

Love,
Your Songbird.

Mother-Daughter:
Motto/song - "We go together like shananana-nanananana. Together, forever, no matter the weather, that's how we will always be." Because You Loved Me. Wind Beneath My Wings.

Movie: Beaches, Ice Castles (the original)

Book: The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss

Hobby: mother plays the piano while daughter sings

Favorite spot: 2nd row, piano side

2 comments: