Monday, October 25, 2010

Birthdays, Voyages and Sushi








Pictures:
1)Moscow river at sunset. Very pretty. That is all.
2) 3...2...1... Yes, that is a rocket ship! It's at the site of this mini amusement park. There is a ferris wheel, a small roller coaster, and a few other amusing tidbits.
3)Inside the Moscow metro Komsomolskaya. Many of the metros are like underground Cathedrals! Hushed, reverent tones.
4)Birthday cake. The top hat layer was a sheet of chocolate.
5)Group pic!


The past couple weeks have been a blur of much and nothing; however, they were not much ado about nothing. On the otherhand, their was quite a to do about some things. On either the 14th or the 15th (for the life of me I can't remember which day), all of the interns and many of the teachers gathered together at a little restaurant called Uchkaduk in order to celebrate the birthday of one fabulous teacher named Jon. This was fairly exciting as it was the first time all of the interns had congregated in one place since the ITP. The music was loud (as were the people). The food was good. The weather was perfect. Masha, Micah, Jon, Olga, Alyssa, Mark, and Adam crowded into one booth, while Zach, Misha, Janice, Lena and I occupied another.

Then on Saturday 2 marvelous things happened. The first was I bought a camera! I know it doesn't sound like much, but I love taking pictures of random objects. I am always telling myself that I am going to try to draw the random objects that appear in lens, even though I rarely do. It really bummed me out that my original camera broke my first day in Russia. But, due to payday the previous day and an early Christmas gift from my wonderful gparents, I was able to buy a Nikon S3000 with a 4GB memory chip and a cute little case.

And why was it so important for me to buy a camera on this particular day? I'm glad you asked. LL celebrated it's 16th birthday this year, and in order to celebrate the day, they threw a huge party for all of the employees. Yes, the LL employees celebrated this landmark by yachting down the Moscow River with friends, food and plenty of booze. Although I remained completely sober (along with a couple of friends), I did find the whole experience fairly amusing. I finally got to see some of my friends from the ITP who I had not seen in a while. We were able to sight see from the top deck, eat wonderful food on the second deck, and do karaoke on the bottom deck. Although I refrained from the singing, I enjoyed watching others dance and stumble about (including some of the academic trainers). :D It was probably one of the best nights I've spent in Russia so far!

And now, to bring us up to today. Sushi! For the longest time I promised myself that no sushi would touch my lips. I gave in last year and tried the tinsiest bit of it at the urging of a coworker. However, that morsel was soon thrown from my lips and "never more!" was uttered. Today, I recant. Some fellow teachers and I ate at a nearby restaurant called Sushki, and I loved it. It really was fabulous. Although, I have heard that they cook all the fish in the sushi in Russia according to federal regulations (which could make the difference b/n the bite in the states and the meal in Russia). But it doesn't matter. I have a new favorite restaurant.

On a down note, please be in prayer for one of the Zgrad interns. His mother was in a car accident and is injured. He is flying home to help with her recovery.

Sincerely,
Your Russian Traveller

No comments:

Post a Comment