Sunday, October 3, 2010

Playing Catch-up: From September 12, 2010

On Sunday the 12th, Masha, one of the secretaries at the 402 met me at 2:00 and showed me around Zgrad. We met at "This Cafe" and then headed to Victory Park. Victory Park is almost right across from my apartment (only about a 5-10 minute walk). However, I had never been there until she took me. Despite the endless line of empty beer bottles, it is very beautiful. In the middle is a series of tiered fountain/pools. There are plenty of flowers too. While we were walking by the lake, we saw a group of people getting ready for remote-controlled boat races.

Across from Victory Park is a supermarket. We didn't go in that day, I did find a towel in there when I went back a couple of weeks later, which was amazing. From the VP/supermarket area, we went to the local institute Miet. Behind Miet is a rather large forest area with plenty of walking trails. We took one and walked and walked. The canopy of trees kept the air cool and humid and the lighting was nice and dim with the shadows of trees on the ground. Once again, it was really beautiful and nice. The trail dropped us off just short of Kopeka which is a smaller and more random version of KMART or Target.

At the end of our walk, we hopped a bus back to the store I call "the 1000 things store" because it has a large, neon 1000 sign. It also has a pizzeria attached to it. So, Masha and I ate pizza.

After our pizza stop, we went to ------ Ploshod or Victory (?) Square. There, Masha helped me get a cell (or mobile as it is commonly referred to in Europe). After that (about 3 hours from the beginning of our outing), we parted ways. She was the first person to really help me get settled in Zgrad, and for that I am very grateful.

Sincerely,
Your Russian Traveller

1 comment:

  1. hey cassandra,

    glad to have a chance to catch up, I guess with MC D's being your only wi-fi location you may nto ahve much time to post, but I owuld love to see some more tales of you day. I feel like I am living vicariously thorugh your words; you are doing so much that I wish i had when i was a younger fella. SO gald you are taking advantage of this opportunity. Not just visit the world, but to be a fully participating, live member of this thing we call humanity. Glad to hear that you found (or at least attended) a church. I hope that will give you more connections and experiences to cherish. Much love to you, not much going on here. britton has his first job, and is really getting in to the whole "senior" thing. Elizabeth is back in public school, she is missing home-schooling. Finally and most importantly, The Texas Rnagers just won ther first play off series in the ballclub's history! The dreaded evil-empire Yankees are next on the docket. O, on a related note, the kdis and I left last wednesday night at 10pm for Tampa Florida. Travelled all night, got to town jsut in time to see a Rangers Playoff game, when the game ended, got back in the car, drove all night again and got back to Bean Station jsut in time for school. Yes, we rock!! :-)

    Keep me updated, send e-mails, texts, FB posts something. I miss being the 'east coast' father. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete