Tuesday, November 30, 2010

When You Add a Little Snow

The weather has finally begun to freeze. Almost overnight it went from around 10C to 0C to -17C. And I love it. Last night, I was freezing, so I put on my fuzzy socks and my hoodie and snuggled under three layers of covers. It felt really good. I love this weather. I love the warm, comfy clothes that bring back memories of family and childhood. I love the glistening snow that frosts the trees. I love the cold fresh air that is invigorating and painful at the same time. It's WINTER! It's Christmas!

This morning was truly a lazy morning. I just wanted to stay huddled under my blankets. So, I did. I slept in, and then when I felt like it, I got up and piddled around on the computer. Around noon I started cooking lunch. Noodles with a Caesar/Tarter sauce and chicken. Yummy! I also made and drank a liter of hot green tea. While I ate I watched some old sitcoms on my computer.

I feel so happy to be here in this place right now. Before I came to Russia I had all of the usual worries. What if my apartment is a dump? What if my company screws me? What if something bad happens back home? What if? What if? What if?

Fortunately, everything has worked out well. I have a charming (if small) flat. My company is decent. I enjoy most of my coworkers. And Russia is amazing. Like any country, there are ups and downs. Like any jobs there are ups and downs. I've come to accept the fact that life is one crazy screwed up roller coaster. Which is why, on perfect mornings like today, I am going to appreciate them fully. Sometimes, all we need to put life back into perspective is a few blankets and a nice cup (or four) of hot tea.

And maybe a little snow.

1 comment:

  1. oh my god, this picture brought tears to my eyes. i'm such a sap. so glad you're enjoying russia. hunker down for a nice, long, snowy winter. homesick for russia.

    ReplyDelete