Friday, December 24, 2010


The sun set several hours ago, officially welcoming Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The night is perfect and serene, and while there is snow on the ground, the air is clear and crisp and a perfect 21F. And though I can't see the stars in the sky, I know they are there, smiling down on me. They have to be. Because this night is perfect.

My Christmas Eve day began with one of the best presents of all for an EFL teacher. My first two classes were cancelled. This gave me the extra time I needed to hit up the ATM and then go Christmas shopping. I needed to get gifts for Lena, a good Russian friend and coworker, and one for Lidia and Ilya, a couple who has taken me into their home.

I ended up buying a rose and dark chocolate for Lena, and a rose and picture frame for Lidia and Ilya (however their rose started drooping by the time I got of work). I then headed to the school to get settled and prepared for my next four classes. My first class was a pre-int group of preteens/young teens. We mixed a page out of the book with several Christmas worksheets and games. My next class, a teen intermediate group watched Kung Fu Panda: Holiday edition, and then they discussed the important aspects of Christmas (or in Russia's case New Years). One of my students, Alyona, brought me a gift containing chocolate candies, chocolate bars, and a canister of gingersnaps. Yummy!

My next class was my favorite class of all - my New English File adult intermediate group. They are always so much fun and are always dutiful and hardworking. So, tonight I had planned a movie night. The class before we went over the story "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." So today, we put watched the movie in order to reinforce the word pictures in the story. I had brought a few snacks and tea, and while I was getting everything set up, they stopped me. Margo stood, and then everyone stood, and then they presented me with a wonderful box of sorted Ferrero truffles. I almost cried on the spot.

My next class was a NEF advanced class. They are a new class for me as I just took them over from another teacher a couple weeks ago. We ended up watching "The Santa Clause."

After my last class, I headed over to Lidia and Ilya's. They had invited me over for Christmas Eve, even though I didn't get off work till 10:00! The evening was amazing. In addition to me, they had invited another friend of theirs over. The company was good and so was the conversation. Everyone had a laugh over the fact that we both got each other picture frames for Christmas. Their daughter is a treat to watch as she plays with her toys. Christmas music was playing. Dinner consisting of rice, chicken, cucumber and tomato salad, and jello tasted mighty delicious. Lydia and I even took turns reading the Christmas story while Ilya took Alexei home. At about 1:20 I finished the perfect evening by walking home in the dark of the cold, fresh night.

I don't remember the last time I had such a good Christmas Eve, even in the States when I was surrounded by family and lifelong friends. Thank you God for sending your son to become one of us, to die for us. Thank you for providing us with everything we need, even when we don't know we need it. And thank you for sending people into our lives who are there to fellowship with and to love.

Happy Birthday Jesus!



Lidia, Sonya, and their beautiful tree!



New Presents for Sonya!



Pop-out book of the nativity story.



From Genesis to Revelations in pictures.



Did you know that you can get a pregnant Barbie Doll. I didn't but I sure got a kick out of this one. You can put the baby in the tummy, and then when it is born, you can turn the tummy cover make it flat again, because of course, Barbie has to be in perfect shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment