Saturday, December 25, 2010

Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus.



If you had asked me a year ago if I would be okay having a Christmas day without my family and our traditions, I would have given you an extremely nasty look just for bringing up the possibility that Christmas could happen without my family. In fact, a year ago from today, I was getting yelled at by my dad for insisting that our in-transit family keep to the traditional Christmas morning, tree-gathering, Santa Claus-bringing ceremony.

Then, today happened. I am over 5,000 miles away from my family, in a place that doesn't really celebrate an English Christmas (which meant that I ended up working). I am in a land where I barely speak the language.. And yet, I enjoyed myself. I didn't even mind working, spending an hour putting together a comprehensive movie packet for my TOEFL class and then teaching for 3 academic hours. After work, my AD and I walked over to a fellow intern's flat where we gathered for our own mini-Christmas celebration. And while I didn't stay too long, I'm not missing being with people celebrating Christmas. I do have a slight nostalgia at not going caroling with my cousins, or singing the Star Spangled Banner before praying over the main feast (a strange family tradition I know). But, I'm not upset. I'm altogether quite content and peaceful right now as I sit in bed, typing, reading, listening to the Notebook soundtrack and munching on yummy gingersnaps. Life seems so right here, away from the bustle and commercialization of Christmas and minor family spats.

I love my family, but I'm glad I get to spend Christmas in Russia. Santa gave me the greatest gift of all this year. He gave me the means to achieve my dream, and the promise that it will continue as long as I need it to. He gave me back my faith and my hope and my confidence. It's okay to dream big.

So good night and merry Christmas dear readers. I hope that Santa was able to bring you all of your desires too.

On Santa Claus

Many of my readers might believe that the above tribute to Santa is a playful exchange of words alluding to the childish spirit of Christmas. But I must confess, within my deepest soul I not only WANT to believe there is a Santa, I DO believe in Santa. While there may not be an actual man who flies to every country and slides down every chimney, who's to say there isn't. It is as possible me getting to come to Russia. As possible as a Georgian taking over half of Europe and Asia. As possible as the Titanic sinking. As possible as a man walking on the moon. Besides, even if there is no tangible MAN, there is definitely a tangible spirit of Santa though who has inherent magical qualities. (Although here most of my critics are going to try to tell me that a spirit cannot be tangible, I will persist in insisting that this one is.)

Today, I had my TOEFL students read the "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" article written over a hundred years ago. As we discussed it we pondered the different points like why is the author writing such a formalized letter to an eight year old. What is the real purpose of the letter? After some consideration, the conclusion I came to is that while the letter was addressed to the child Virginia, the response was directed at the "skeptic" readers themselves. It is such a passionate plea for a return to the innocence of child-like belief, alluding to faeries and magic. But it is also very sensualized and fervent in its endeavor to bring in rationalized arguments that the readers can relate to: among these being love, poetry, beauty and faith. Readers, remember that this is the time of the Bohemian revolution. Fantasy authors and romantic authors such as Shelley, Keats, Byron and Mary Shelley were in their prime. This plea is just a push trying to get these skeptics to go from Dracula and Frankenstein to a faith in the innocence and purity of Christmas. To go from an obsession with romantic love and drama to the purity of a child's love for all she holds dear.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, because in a world filled with skeptics who try their best to outshop, outcurse and outdo their loved ones, somehow, true Christmas innocence continues to exist. And that, Virginia, can only be because Christmas is magical. And Santa is magic.

Sincerely,
Your Russian Traveller

No comments:

Post a Comment